In this, the final week of 2017, the Citizen sports staff once again has selected whom we consider as the top athlete in their sport from their performances over the past calendar year. In most areas, there were many local athletes who shined, but in a couple sports, the decision came pretty easily.
For the first time, we decided to name a prep and a professional player of the year in baseball and football because of the number of Elk Grove athletes who have taken their sport to the highest level. In 2018, we’ll add a pro player of the year in basketball with the advent of the NBA G-League.
The Citizen salutes the Best of 2017; excellent athletes who impressed and entertained us with what they did this past year in the sports arena.
- Driver runs red light, crashes into police car
- Where is the Elk Grove Botanic Garden?
- A 411-acre salad bar for goats, sheep
- EG restaurants begin reopening
- Bob Gluck, former Elk Grove Chamber ambassador, dies at 67
- Elk Grove Unified faces $53M deficit after COVID-19 hit
- Controversial bail reform measure heading to Nov. ballot
- A quiet Memorial Day in Elk Grove
- Survey reveals COVID-19 pandemic’s impacts on local businesses
- DUI suspect sinks into manure pond
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.