Police boost shopping center patrols for the holidays
The Elk Grove police announced last week they are increasing their patrols of shopping centers during the holiday season. This boosted presence will last until Christmas Eve. Officers are patrolling by marked and unmarked cars, as well as by foot.
Authorities also shared these safety tips for holiday shoppers:
• Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
• Do not leave packages or valuables in plain sight inside your vehicle.
• Hide valuables from sight before you reach your destination, or, even better, take items with you.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
• Only carry the credit cards and cash that you absolutely need to make purchases.
• If you carry a purse, keep under your arm close to your body.
• Put wallets in an inside pocket of your jacket or front pants pocket.
• If shopping after dark, shop with a friend if possible.
• Always park your car in a well• lit area.
• Scan parking lots from inside the business before exiting. If you observe something that makes you feel unsafe, ask the store to have someone help you to your car. If you see suspicious activity, call EGPD.
• Always check the interior of your car before you unlock the door to get in.
• Lock your car doors and windows even if you are only gone for a few minutes.”